So, usual things going on this week, in terms of archaeology.
Unusual things going on with the weather. Oh lord.
Monday and Tuesday were the hottest days so far this calendar year, breaking 90º both days. It was HOT HOT HOT, and not in a good way.
Wednesday was a full day of threat of rain and thunderstorms, which never happened...
Then Thursday happened... Oh thursday. I, for some reason, didn't think to check the weather before I left on thursday for field school. I was on water screen, so i dressed in a t-shirt and a pair of swim shorts. I get in my car and grab a jacket because I was kind of cold... Upon arriving at site, I discover that it's FUCKING FREEZING (so... like 55º, but still SUPER cold).
Not the best day to water screen, but thankfully I got to spend most of the morning in the museum doing paperwork, so it wasn't 8 hours of misery. Ironic thing was that we were warmer while water screening than when we weren't... the water was warmer than the air, which I think helped.
Then Friday was absolutely beautiful, in the low to mid 70s all day.
Archaeological developments: the pot rim found like... two weeks ago is proving to be a rather large jar, which we think might be on the floor of our structure. we found another, smaller pot rim, which might yield a smaller whole pot. We found the first pieces of our burned mat floor in one of our units, which is equally exciting. and I found a piece of bone while water screening, which is super cool too! :D
Personal comments: I sliced my hand on stone tool flakes two days in a row. They're starting to heal.
Archaeology has karma, I think. Every time I accidentally inflict problems on myself, the universe sees fit to put that back on me; case in point, I have stabbed two people with trowels, repaid with my hand injuries. I kept accidentally spraying people in neighboring water screens... I was thoroughly doused by one of the interns.
Karma. It's real
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment