Saturday, May 30, 2009

Geoarchaeology Week

Not much to say about this week really...

I drew a profile wall. For those not in the know, a profile wall is basically drawing the layers (or stratigraphy) that occurred naturally at the site. We then name them, (unit 1, 2, 3, abc), define their texture (clay, sand, loam) and color.

I suck at determining colors of soils. I'm just not good at it. I messed up roughly 6 or 7 attempts at determining color in less than 2 hours. D:

We also did more survey on Mound E (and didn't have to draw a contour map of it... yay!) and did a resistivity test.

Resistivity measures the ability of current to travel through the soil. We put 72 metal pins in the ground and send current. Based on the differences between the points, one can determine how well it conducts electricity, which helps figure out soil type.

I have no idea what this will help us learn about the mound. We didn't discuss that.

Luke, Kaitlin and I talked a lot... and we DID sit around a lot doing nothing.

I also got very muddy and got bug bites... :\

back to excavation and waterscreen next week! YAY!

I really enjoy excavation, if I haven't indicated that previously

No comments:

Post a Comment