Continued working on getting through the plow zone.
We had some major bucket issues today. Mainly, when we excavated yesterday, we used up nearly all of our buckets. So, for the majority of the midday, there was nothing to do. We told jokes, primarily of the dead baby variety.
After buying 50 more buckets from the good ol' home depot, we got to work.
we excavated with shovels (thank god). It made everything much faster. I'm becoming an expert at taking elevations and doing paperwork. (oh the super exciting aspects of archaeology!)
Exciting thing today!: I found a groundstone tool in the wall of my unit! It was used to make stone tools from chert. We found the use-wear markings. From this, my supervisors determined that the person who used it was right handed.
We have one more 1x1 m unit before we start on level 1--the first layer that would have actual material culture that was undisturbed by the plowing. This will be happening tomorrow during the Public CSI Archaeology day at Angel.
If you're in the Evansville area, stop by! I may/may not be there... I haven't decided yet
Also discovered(confirmed?) today: IU is not a good model for 6ยบ of separation. It's usually closer to 1 or 2 degrees
Friday, May 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment